A cracking homemade chip shop curry sauce, make double and freeze for a cheeky Friday night treat with some oven chips. Also a great mid-week meal to have in the freezer just add some chicken and vegetables and serve with some fluffy rice – perfect for children.
- 3 large white onions, roughly chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 2-3 inches of fresh ginger, peeled & roughly chopped
- A little oil and butter/ghee for cooking
- 1/2 stock cube – a whole cube if making for adults
- 2 heaped tsp of curry powder
- 1 heaped tsp of garam masala
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp Mango chutney
- Boiling water, around 400ml
Heat the ghee or butter and oil in a medium saucepan and add the onions along with the sugar. Fry until the onions are soft, but be careful not to let the onions catch. After around 7-10 minutes, add the ginger and garlic and continue to cook for a further 3-5 minutes. Add in the spices and fry for a couple more minutes before adding the stock and water. Leave to bubble for at least 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the mango chutney then blitz until smooth with a hand blender or food processor. Check the seasoning and serve immediately with chips or return to the heat and add chicken and vegetables to make a great mid-week supper for all the family…my one year old just hoovered it up!