To celebrate me reaching 1,000 followers on twitter this afternoon, I’ve devised this twist on the classic Coconut Macaroon. The recipe is easy, quick, yummy and gluten free! A good bake to do over the August Bank Holiday weekend.
Pistachio, Rose & Orange Coconut Macaroons
- 100g Icing Sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 100g Desiccated Coconut
- 35g Pistachios, plus an additional 15 for decoration
- 20g Ground Almonds
- 2 Large Egg Whites
- Pinch Salt
- 1 teaspoon Rose Extract
- Zest of 1 Large Orange
1. Preheat oven to gas mark 3 and grease one large or two small baking sheets with unsalted butter.
2. Grind 35g of pistachios in a coffee/spice grinder until find and place in a medium sized mixing bowl.
3. Add the icing sugar, ground almonds, coconut and orange zest to the pistachios and mix thoroughly using a balloon/hand whisk.
4. Whisk the egg whites with the pinch of salt until stiff, adding in the teaspoon of rose extract towards the end of whisking.
5. Add the whisked egg whites to the pistachio mixture in stages until combined, being careful not to over mix.
6. Spoon the mixture onto the baking sheets using a teaspoon, making sure that there’s space between them and top each Macaroon with one whole pistachio.
7. Bake for 12 minutes, or until lightly toasted.
8. Leave to cool on the baking sheets before removing with a palette knife/spatula.
9. Dust liberally with icing sugar and enjoy.